This blog documents the modifications necessary to get seaworthy (warts and all), then the adventures (hopefully) on board our Trailer Sailer 6.1 metre Jarcat6 Catamaran, Kismet.

Sunday 27 January 2019

Mast up for first time

After bedding and securing the chainplate bolts a couple of days ago, we bought Kismet home for the day of reckoning. Will the shrouds be the right length to stop the mast colliding with the rear of the cabin?

All good. Even the forestay was within adjustable range.


I had to add 30mm of padding under the front mast rooftop mount (for road travel).
I also raised the rear 'V' mount 50mm so that the spreaders cleared the cabin hatches.
You can see the old holes on the lower 'V' mount. The top 'V' mount "unplugs" from the mast support at the orange paint just above the lower 'V'. This reduces our travelling height so we don't take out any service station lights.

Unfortunately I picked a bad weekend to bring the boat home as my storage place isn't open tomorrow and we are too committed to other stuff to actually try to get sailing. I also need to mount the jib blocks and cleats and make a new tiller.

So there it sits in the driveway. I'm not allowed to put on the front lawn again.

I'm currently waiting for William to get home from work (yes on a Sunday) so we can lower the mast and store it on the boat. Since it's the first time we have ever lowered it, I'm not taking any chances that my better half could get injured lowering the mast. (I'm not sure how much he helped me when raising it...).


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Id love to know how you mount the rear mast crutch to the stern. I have an old stern rail on my J5 but keen to remove it to clear space in the back, only problem is how to mount a long crutch to make raising the mast easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rear crutch is a piece of about 50mm x 25mm (I think) box section steel. It slots into 2 mounts made of pieces of galvanised sheet straps about 25mm wide. Sort of like you would see around downpipe. These are mounted to the port side of the motor well.

      Delete